Employment law changes ahead in 2017

Share This Post

In the New Year many businesses are planning their annual budget and strategy, have you also given thought to upcoming employment law changes?

  1. Increased rates for National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage from April 2017

The National Living Wage for those aged 25 and over will increase from £7.20 per hour to £7.50 per hour. There will also be rises to the National Minimum Wage payable to those under 25 and apprentices.

  1. Pension Auto Enrolment see our article
  2. Changes to Statutory Pay from April 2017

Statutory rates of pay for maternity, paternity, shared parental leave and adoption are increasing in April 2017, as is the rate of statutory sick pay. This is the first rise since April 2015.

  1. Apprenticeship Levy from April 2017

From April 2017, businesses with a salary bill of over £3 million must contribute funding towards the costs of UK apprentices via the Apprenticeship Levy.

In return, there will be greater funding for apprentice training for smaller employers. Employers not contributing to the Levy will contribute 10% to the cost of the training and the government will pay the remaining 90% up to the maximum amount.

The government will also offer support to organisations with fewer than 50 employees by paying 100% of training and assessment costs for their apprentices aged 16 to 18.

  1. Salary sacrifice scheme changes from April 2017 see our article

Possible changes to look out for:

  1. Brexit – the situation remains unclear about potential employment law changes as a consequence of Brexit, but 2017 will be a year of beginning negotiations rather than significant changes.

Theresa May has repeatedly said that workers’ rights will continue to be protected post-Brexit, but we still lack detail.

  1. The Trade Union Act 2016 became law in 2016 requiring higher thresholds for strike organisation, but this Act has yet to come into force.
  2. Shared parental leave for working grandparents may be delayed due to Brexit.

Business Garage is the consultancy for all your business support, from Business Strategy to Financial Management, Human Resources, Marketing Communications or Office Administration.

Contact our Milton Park office on 01235 433099 or [email protected] to find out how we can help your business drive to success.

More To Explore

join our team
Latest News

We’re hiring!

Finance Assistant (hybrid working) full-time or part-time, Grove Business Park to start ASAP Business Garage is an exciting, dynamic, growing company offering a wide range

bookkeeping for a start-up

Top tips: bookkeeping for SMEs

Setting up and running your own business is extremely exciting but if you neglect your bookkeeping, you run the risk of your business failing. Business

Book a free, no-obligation consultation

Arrange a chat with one of our team

Outsource to Business Garage

Interested in more information or want to chat with one of our team? Fill in the form below and we'll be in touch!

All over the UK, businesses like yours are planning for better times. After a year of disruption and interruption, their focus is on rebuilding as quickly as possible. We can help.

Our five-point REVIVAL plan is designed to help businesses recover lost ground, maximise their profits, and secure their future.

Through our REVIVAL programmes we focus on the following five key areas:

  • Financial management
  • Operations
  • People
  • Digital transformation
  • Marketing

The first step is a complimentary one-hour strategy session that enables us to understand your business and your challenges better.

Following this we will present our action plan.

Fill in the form now tand book your complimentary REVIVAL strategy session.

Outsource to Business Garage

Interested in more information or want to chat with one of our team? Fill in the form below and we'll be in touch!